
Did you see the bews this morning about cereal? Here's the link to the Consumer Reports study.
It made me think fondly of my childhood. Bring up the subject of cereal and people start talking. They talk about what they ate, what they wanted to eat, what their moms let them eat, and what their friends' moms let them eat. Doesn't it always seem that when you went to another house, you would be struck by cereal envy?
We went through phases in our house. I remember Muesli, various granolas, soaked barley, cream of wheat, oatmeal and the like. Also store-brand Cheerios and Fruit Loops (something like Os and Fruity-Os). In college I remember trying my roommate Jodi's Marshmallow Mateys and wondering why I hadn't lived before. She also taught me the joy of a bowl of cereal in the evening for dessert. When I lived with my sister Rebekah during college I would often eat her Raisin Bran Crunch. JB and I buy that stuff now whenever it's on sale. We also like a type of granola that comes in a two-pack at Costco, but that one has raisins and we try to find the type that doesn't have raisins. It's in a yellow box at the grocery store. I just can't remember the name. We buy that on sale too. Cereal is expensive!
Anyway at work I did the story this morning of the sugary study. A few months ago I did a story on how cereal makers are shrinking the boxes but charging the same. It's a sneaky way to raise the price without you knowing. The same thing has been happening to ice cream. Not nice.
4 comments:
Those cereal makers are the sneakiest people around!
Hey, have you been in touch with Mary R. lately? She just added me as a friend on Facebook...I think it's been since we lived together that I've seen or talked to her! So fun to get back in touch!
No! How is she doing? Email me her email if you have it. I know Facebook is out there, but I only have time for one online persona right now.
I think my house was the one that caused envy. I love sugar cereals with all of my heart, even though I'm all grown up now. When I eat one, it's like Christmas morning.
We have a 'cereal' problem on our hands!Making boxes smaller, charging the same... What are we made of money?? and I've noticed that about ice cream too! (not like i buy it all the time, mostly when it's on sale too!)... but hey... I want my 6 oz of ice cream back!
PS. My kids LOVE Marshmellow Maties... but they just eat the Marshmellows and i'm stuck eating just the Maties!!
Post a Comment