I had a great birthday this week. JB made a delicious cake and really spoiled me with homemade biscuits and gravy for breakfast and thoughtful gifts.
But for Max, my birthday is really only a stepping stone on the way to his! Here is the cake I made for him to go with his pool party theme.
We had a bunch of his classmates from church and preschool over and filled three kiddie pools in the backyard. They ran from pool to pool and probably would have kept doing it if we didn't serve them pizza and cake, then had a pinata.
Benny also was given a present by a very thoughtful parent of one of the boys that came. He said he grew up with brothers and knew of the tears and fighting that could come!
Birthday parties are hard! I hope he liked it, because it's his last, ha ha. Well, maybe another one in a few years.
Friday, July 23, 2010
While JB's brother Jeff was visiting from Arizona for our wedding season, he was so nice to bring over a bunkbed in his truck for Max and Ben. It's the same bunkbed JB used as a boy. We put it downstairs in the boys' new room. We have been preparing them for a while that this was going to happen. I'm glad we could do this well before the baby comes, because the baby will occupy the room across the hall from us.
Anyway, the day Jeff brought the bunkbed and helped set it up was one of joy and rapture! The boys climbed all over it, chattered all about it, etc. But (and there's always a but) that night, there the trepidation came. Max was quite worried about sleeping on the top.
So we put them together on the floor to at least get used to the new room.
Now they still sleep together, but they've made it on the bunkbed. They sleep on the bottom bunk feet to feet, like the grandparents on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hope Max or Ben will try the top bunk before they get much taller!
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
JB's little sister Suzanne got married yesterday to Seth. Look how pretty!
Max and Benny couldn't decide which was the best part of the day -- playing with Aunt Rachel at the temple while we were inside, riding Trax to the restaurant for the wedding lunch, or playing with all the children at the reception. They also loved the green punch. We didn't get to bed until 10:30 but had such a great time.
Hearing a secret from Emily:
Benny smiled like a champ through the whole photo shoot. Max for some reason FREAKED OUT about being next to Suzanne in her dress. He never gave me a clear answer why. Was it because she looked like a princess and he was scared?
All of us dressed up for the reception.
Friday, July 16, 2010
My son Max is like me. We become obsessed with something for a while, then we move on (remember when I did crochet every day? I kinda dropped that when it got warmer outside).
Max's new obsession is the Pillow Pet. The commercials come on a lot -- it seems he sees one of those commercials every time he watches a show. He tells us just to go to "w-w-w-dot-pillow-pets-dot-com."
Now he thinks he's getting one for his birthday later this month. He told us he's getting a ladybug pillow pet, with one for Benny too. At least he's thinking of his younger brother! Or he's thinking he doesn't want to share....
He also told us he's getting a super launcher for his birthday. When we try to tell him gently that he doesn't know what he's getting for his birthday, it may not be much (we can't spoil the boy!), and we hope he'll be happy with a present or two.
He just says, "It's OK. If I don't get them for my birthday I'll ask Santa."
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
- I dug deeper into my maternity clothes recently. I would pull one thing out and think, "I remember you!" Then I'd pull something else out and think "Whoa dang that's big."
- My spituation is still hanging around. I go from ambivalent to laughter to anger to crying some days. It seems to be much better some mornings, but by the evenings I'm a fountain again. I found an online forum about it and read that some women suffer until they give birth. Gulp.
- My soon-to-be-married SIL Suzanne got Rummikub at her recent bridal shower. We played it Sunday and I think once we get the rules down, it should be lots of fun. But she's moving to South Carolina soon (boo). We have played some really fun games recently after family dinner, like Ticket to Ride, etc. It makes me miss my siblings.
- On my morning phone call from work to home one morning,I heard what sounded like animal noises going on around JB. You know when someone has birds or something squeaky in the background? That's what it sounded like. It was my children. They are like two cute bear cubs that tackle each other. It can end in tears or laughter. I heard JB say, "Get off your brother!" and one of them said, "But I like it!"
- Happy Birthday to my dear friend Autumn!
Sunday, July 11, 2010
I took the boys to the Lowe's Build and Grow clinic Saturday morning. They had a fantastic time and it's a sweet deal. They got a free apron and goggles along with the kit to build, a "merit badge" and a free Jr. Frosty coupon. I wonder if they'd let me sign up.
They made a cup and ball game. They are still wearing their aprons tonight.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
JB took the boys went to a Salt Lake Bees game last night. I think through the help of dollar dog night and snow cones, we may have new baseball fans in the family!