Friday, April 10, 2009

Wicked Awesome


I have heard so much hype about "Wicked" from people who have seen it on Broadway, or through the touring production from Broadway Across America. So when I went last night I was expecting to be wowed.
Wow, wow, wow.
I knew it was the story of the witches before Dorothy dropped in, but I didn't know it continues through the story line of the movie "The Wizard of Oz." When I did a story on it this week, the company director told me it's like the camera just moved to the left about five feet.
The sets were incredible, the costumes colorful, and the special effects exciting (a little girl in front of me kept jumping when the Wizard spoke). But my favorite part was the singing of the two leading ladies.
I laughed at many lines, the lady beside me cried a few times, and we all clapped tons. It was totally worth only getting four hours of sleep before coming into work this morning.
I know the tickets are expensive and it sold out in a clock tick, but I'm going to tell everyone to try to go. It's just pure fun. Try for the ticket drawing before each performance. The orchestra seats are 25 dollars each, and didn't look too bad. I haven't been able to find out yet what the demand has been for those seats (we are only two days into the run) but I hope more people get a chance to see "Wicked."

8 comments:

Alyssa said...

I saw it a few years ago on Broadway and always recommend it. I recently purchased the book and should dive into that soon.

Bekah said...

I am green with envy! I saw the cast perform "What Is This Feeling" on The Tonight Show two years ago and I've wanted to see it ever since. I even started planning a trip to Chicago but it didn't pan out.

I found the book last month at Goodwill and brought it home, but I haven't read it yet. You're welcome to borrow it when you come out here in July (I can't wait to see you and your munchkins)!

AO said...

I am SO jealous as well....this is definitely on my to-do list next time I get to NYC! Several of my friends are seeing it this weekend. Until I get to, I'll just keep listening to the soundtrack. I have read the book.

Sarah Preston said...

That sounds so fun! I am dying to see it. Those orchestra seats sound good to me

JoLynn said...

I've heard it's excellent. Everyone at my work is going, but me!

Andrea said...

I saw it a year ago in St. Louis. It was awesome. Can't wait to see it again. I have my Wicked CD playing in my car. The book is good but a bit weird in places. It will help you understand the show a bit more. There is also a sequel to the book called "Son of a Witch" All of this author's books are good. He has several other "retellings" of different fairytales.

Lexie said...

I LOVE Wicked too, I'm so glad you got to see it! My girls and I burst into the songs too often to mention, but I love that they are mostly upbeat, positive, fun, and clean!

Carole said...

Interesting.
I did not really enjoy the book. It was way too political- and adult.
I am aware of the arguments around whether or not The Wizard of Oz was a political commentary - it doesn't matter either way - it is still a fun children's story. The book Wicked, however, was not.
Perhaps I should not be so judgmental. Perhaps I was disappointed in the book because I wanted a children's story. Because of my disappointment in the book I have never been interested in the play. I might have to rethink seeing the play.