Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dream a dream

First, if you have not seen someone's email or Facebook link to this YouTube video, then go here now and watch it. Then come back and read the rest of this post.



I know why many people are getting goosebumps and teary-eyes after watching her sing. It's because we know we judged her too. It's also because deep down, we may also have a dream just like her that we pushed aside.

You saw the looks on the faces of the judges and the audience when she walked out on the stage. The way her introduction was edited you almost expect a flop -- she's never-been-kissed at 47, she lives with a cat, she is the "before" picture, etc. But then she sings and your jaw hits the ground.


Reading more about her this morning I found out she has a bittersweet story. She took care of both her parents until they passed away, and schoolkids made fun of a learning disability. She has been singing since age 12 in church and things and always wanted to be a famous singer. That's what makes the peformance so heartwarming, and the song choice so poignant -- She dreamed a dream, but now she's living it.


Makes you want to go find your dream and pursue it too, doesn't it?

7 comments:

Jenny Richards said...

I saw part of that on "The View" it was pretty amazing.

JoLynn said...

I didn't know all that background about her! It makes her story so much better. Wow!

The Joe said...

I just went and watched that, it was amazing. Not gonna lie, i cried a little.

carole said...

I found out about the story shortly after she won. It was not on youtube yet. I had to patiently wait before I could hear her.
It is definitely an underdog story. Ugly, unloved 48 year old woman finally gets her break.
I heard a lecture once and the one phrase I remember from it is "What's their secret?" It was a lecture on judging others. I have a female friend who smells like cat urine a lot of the time. She owns a cat. I think it sprays. I am not sure if my friend can smell it. Sometimes it is very hard to be around her. BUT she is my friend. She is a talented artist. She is intelligent and I like to talk to her.
Look what we miss if we immediately discount a person just because of bushy eyebrows, wirey, graying hair and a little bit of weight. Or in my case because sometimes she smells like cat urine.

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

Thanks for the post. I haven't seen that yet until just now. How amazing! I definetely got teary eyed. THanks.

Lexie said...

Mary, that was gorgeous, and I think you're right, it is so astounding because we judge her before she sings, thinking she doesn't fit "the picture" of stars today, but wow, what a fun, spunky, talented lady!

katie b. p. said...

well said!