Wednesday, December 31, 2008

See you next year, hon

I can't remember the last time I stayed awake until midnight on New Year's Eve.




Last year I was up around midnight to feed a newborn, but I had been asleep before that. Usually around 10 PM on New Year's Eve I fall asleep on the couch, wake up to mumble "g'night" and stumble off to bed. I give the following reasons for this party-pooping attitude:


5) Early rising children
4) Sometimes I work on New Year's Day (the news never stops)
3) For years I have woken up verrryyy early for work and my body is trained
2) I don't feel any different at midnight
1) The beginning of the year 2000, Y2K, was a big disappointment. Just kidding, I'm glad nothing blew up.


I grew up having a big family party on New Year's Eve. We played games, watched movies and ate all the stuff we couldn't eat during the year in the hours up until midnight. My dad would make his famous grape juice-soda-ice cream punch, and we used our fancy plates and glasses. Then we would bang pots and pans at midnight. My mom would often be asleep by then, so we'd make noise on the opposite side of the house from her bedroom. But she'd always come down and kiss my dad at midnight.
Sometimes I wondered why she would fall asleep so early. Now I know why -- see #5 and probably #2 above!

1 comment:

Sarah Preston said...

I've never been a fan for new years eve! I'm like you in when the clock strikes midnight I don't feel any different.
Our plan tonight is dinner and a movie.