Saturday, December 20, 2008

Reindeer conversations

A story this week from Texas A&M pondered if Santa's flying crew really is all female. The secret is in the antlers -- females keep theirs by Christmas, males shed them (they grow back every year). Males who have been, ahem, well, now they are called steers, anyway, those male reindeer also keep their antlers through the winter too. The animal experts went into some other reasons as to why Santa may use more females then males on his crew -- they never get lost, etc.

So, saying all of that, for my story assignment Friday I went to a Christmas village that has real reindeer every year. And I interviewed them. Here you all are you lucky folks -- my first attempt as a radio reporter to take video on a story.



I hope to take Max and the rest of my family to see the reindeer and other attractions early next week. I can't wait to see his reaction, knowing his obsession with all things deer. Oh, and Santa will be there too. Max may be shy and refuse to talk to him. Or he'll hug Santa's leg and pour out all the desires of his heart. I imagine there will be no in-between.

2 comments:

Sarah Preston said...

I love that you were talking to the deer and asking them questions! Did the reindeer book help Max at all? He is too funny

Mary said...

I forgot to write about that in this post -- he loves the reindeer book. I think it's really helping him. Except on one page where there are two reindeer pictured, he asks if one of them is going to eat the other one.