Monday, July 7, 2008

Samples


Several trips to Costco and the grocery store this weekend have shown me I need a tougher spine when it comes to samples. More specifically, the sample-givers. Usually you can hover, take a sample, mumble thanks, then be on your way. But I swear the sample-people are getting more aggressive. "That's on sale today!" "It's right in the case beside me if you want more." "Here's a bag for your cart." "Here, take two!" Instead of moving on with a "No thanks," I feel obliged to explain why I've just stuffed my face with their sample but am not buying the product. My lowest moment -- telling the lady that I believed my husband may have already purchased the ready-made-only-on-special-today-fantastic-in-the-case-beside-me-brats and I had better call him and make sure. I walked away making the fake call on my cell phone and about crashed into the yogurts.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I'm laughing so hard. I can't just say no either - I always lie. We should form an anonoymous club for people who suddenly become compulsive liars when confronted by sample people at Costco.

Jacks said...

I do the same thing. Or at least if I don't give an excuse I have a horrendous amount of guilt explode throughout my entire core.

Anonymous said...

You could say something like "it's good, but I've had better" and walk away. Hit 'em where it hurts. Note: this technique does not work if you've helped yourself to more than one sample.

Kudos on the flossing! I became a floss-convert about 4 months ago. It does get easier, and I love the smug feeling that my teeth are squeaky clean.