Friday, July 11, 2008

Garage slippery slope

Our garage door is on the fritz. It's a single-car garage with a manual door that you have to lift up (gotta love these older homes). The door just loves to come off its tracks when I (and now even our nanny) lift it to get to the stroller inside. I have the upper body strength of a kitten, and have to go running to my strong husband to get him to put the door back in place. Last night the door wrestled back, so I helped him. Here's the scene:

JB: Lift up on your side.

Me: Ok

JB: Anytime now.

Me: This is my lift!

JB: Oh.


Meanwhile Max and Ben were waiting nearby our our daily walk. Their waiting became wailing -- Max thought JB and I were in mortal danger and kept screaming "Come out of the garage momma!" Ben wailed because I put him down on the grass and it was tickling him. Plus he couldn't see me and he's in a "I'm 7-months old, I must see mom at all times" stage. I have to tiptoe out of the room with his back turned, or he lays his head down on the floor and cries.


We put the door back and went on our walk, but I just don't know what to do about that door. If you're going to fix a door on an old garage, might as well replace the garage. Might as well then get a two-car garage. Then if we are ripping up stuff anyway, we should replace the driveway concrete as well. Shoot, if we tear down the garage we'll need to rebuild the deck and swingset that are attached to it. Now a little repair has turned into tens of thousands of dollars! Looks like we're stuck with the possessed door.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can replace the rollers on the garage door. When I got my garage door opener installed I was missing a roller and they just popped one on. Good as new!