Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Baby in the Hallway part 2

I wish I had a third bedroom upstairs sometimes. I'm too worried about Max's sleep to put Ben in with him, so he's still in his bassinet next to my bed. Maybe I should be more worried about my sleep and JB's sleep. Most of the time Ben is fine -- he's just about 4 months old now, so I'm still fine with a middle-of-the-night feeding or two. But occasionally he's just awake and talking to himself in the wee hours, and it keeps us up. I put the bassinet out in the hallway twice. Maybe I should do it everynight. But friends tell me their older child adapted and slept fine when the baby moved in to their room.

So is Max over-energetic or are other toddlers just like him? Some evenings when JB and I are tired after long days and drape ourselves on the couch, Max is still eager to play. JB says he wishes he could bottle some of that energy and sell it. It seems like we tell Max not to jump on the couch every day around 6 PM. I'll tell him, "If you want to jump, you can jump on the lovesak downstairs." He'll say, "Want to come too Momma?" I think it will be great once it's finally dry and warm outside and our swingset is hammered back together. He can get out some energy in the backyard.

Also, I'm finding other toddlers like to carry around little things too, and even take them to bed. I thought it was odd until I asked my mom and she said my younger brother would carry around small cars in his hands. Other moms say their toddlers take toys to bed, and I read in Parenting Magazine that this is normal -- it helps in a child's transition from play to bed or something like that. So I guess Max's empty containers (chapstick, floss, mints) or whatever he's loving at the moment are his comfort objects instead of a blankie or stuffed animal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember when we were little and Mom used to send us outside to run around the house three times? Now I know why!

Sarah said...

We finally moved Ella out of our room about three weeks ago. For now she is in the guest room in her pack'n'play. We still need to get Abigail into a bed so Ella can have her crib. Will Ben fit in our closet?? (I mean I am sure Ben will fit-but will his bed fit too?)We had Ella in there for awhile-I didn't like all her noises when she was newborn-so to the closet she went!

Jenny Richards said...

My kids are always more active at night. I find it is because they are so tired and they are fighting going to sleep. Play is more fun. When we moved Ryker into his bed for the first time we bought him a bunk bed even though we knew he wouldn't need it til we had another boy. We had it set up so the beds weren't on top of each other then had him sleep in the one that would go on top. For two reasons he wouldn't roll off (there are sides on it) and because I didn't want him to get out if I even got the nerve to make him cry himself to sleep. (He was a really bad sleeper) It worked great. He never once got out. Plus it made him feel big. Of course I haven't had a choice as to when the kids needed to be moved to a big bed because I needed to crib because the cradle I have is small. So Jax is 15 months old and sleeping on the bottom bunk and he doesn't get out because I do the super nanny approach. This is long so if you want the 411 on that let me know.
Jenny

autumn said...

Gracie is the exact same way. The more tired she becomes, the more active she gets until I think she might explode. Oh, and Gracie has to have a toy in her hand at all times...no matter what. They are sometimes really odd things.

AO said...

Hey, even I find myself bringing toys to bed with me sometimes :) This was such a cute post!