Saturday, June 14, 2008

We be growers

We now have the beginnings of a garden. We (by we I mean JB) planted tomatoes today by our house. I hope they soon become yummy salsa.
We bought them at Costco. Everybody's been talking about how you can get four tomato plants together on sale at Costco, so today we sauntered down there to claim our own. A lady swooped in front of us and bought the last of them: "Hurry, Belva, get over here with that there cart!" The Costco worker nearby said they didn't have any more in the back. Stunned, we walked around the store half-heartedly nibbling the samples and picked up milk, cheese, tortillas, and extra stuff we really didn't go in there for. I took a picture of Ben loving the feel of the cart bars between his toes.
On the way out I looked over at the returns counter and saw something tall and leafy. I really do not have a green thumb (I once killed a house plant -- the type everybody says you can't kill), and I had no idea if these tall leafy green plants were cantalope or rose bushes but I asked the girl if anyone had returned some tomatoes. Perhaps they really didn't want to grow their own tomatoes but got caught up in the whole "The grocery store tomatoes probably have salmonella, I'll grow my own!" Sure enough, she said someone had just returned them. They gave them to us at a discount. Yippee!

I cheer but I hear tomatoes can be tricky to grow. Here's hoping JB can get ours to flourish and blossom, or whatever tomato plants do.

1 comment:

AO said...

I got my tomato plants last year not at Costco and they went OUT OF CONTROL. It was AWESOME! I'm hoping ours do as well this year, since they are way more spaced out... I did see two little yellow blossoms on one plant last night, so there is hope. And if you ever want a great homeemade salsa recipe, do I have one for you!