Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The girls and me

I love working with the Young Women at church. They are such awesome girls and so much fun to be around. But something comes over me sometimes, and I'm 14 again. Sometimes 17. I feel this anxiety to have them like me (the affects of a bad 8th-grade year I suppose). I can also get a little goofy in the meantime.

For example, a week ago Wednesday night, our activity was jewelry making. I was so excited I forgot I was there to help. Here's the scene:

Me: Ooooooh, look at all the pretty beads!

13-year-old: Could you help me start this bracelet?

Me: Um, I have no idea how to do that. Oooooh, look at this bead! Move over.

Sorry girls.

Then last Wednesday night we drove very far away to tour a famous mine. It closed a minute before we arrived. So we went to get shakes. I got all giggly sitting in the booth with them -- we were commenting on the scent of the nice cleaning solution an employee was using nearby. As we finished our ice cream I wanted a picture of all of us at our activity to show with other pictures at the end of the year. Something came over me (this was a time I thought I was 14) and I snagged the cleaning bottle to put in the picture with us. The employee came back looking for it and I was quite embarrassed when I was caught red-handed. Once again, sorry girls. I will try to be more grown-up next time!

4 comments:

Danielle Hacking said...

The girls love you, you are an awesome leader, and a great example! I definitely feel like I have more in common with the YW than most of the women in our ward, go figure!! :)

Mary said...

Isn't it funny how we get so giggly though? Remember the evening we played games with the girls -- I couldn't stop laughing. But I was a little too competitive probably!

Anonymous said...

Hey, some of the best YW leaders I can remember were the ones that got down and giggly with us. Don't worry about it, it's not like you're teaching them to TP houses or tag overpasses. Hey, do you get to go to Girl's Camp? How fun is that!

Anonymous said...

wow mary! you are amazing! yaa that was probably me asking for help...i've never been too bright! but yw is SO fun w/ you! we all love you to death!
Amy Jessee