Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Soccer ends

This will be James's last soccer season for a while.  We may try again in a few years. I don't know what I was thinking, putting a 3 1/2 year old into sports.  Hashtag Too. Soon.




He told me "bad guys" played on the other team. This boy is really into superheroes and that whole "bad guy, good guy" storyline, which I hear is normal developmentally. But he couldn't figure out that they were just other little boys and girls like him, and he would get angry and frustrated.  Often he just ignored the ball and the people around him.

But I did see bright spots and growth through the season. I think he really improved in listening to his coach, and each game he spent a little more time out there running, and even got a few kicks in.  And I was encouraged to see similar struggles with almost all of the other 3 year olds.

It was also Andrew's last game on Saturday, but he was super sick. He just laid on the blanket and let Millie crawl on him.


Max and Ben missed many of the games but we all went for the last one and did their best to be encouraging. It was just yesterday that these two tall boys were my two little boys out there on this very same field.



And each of my babies (post-Max) has played with these on the sidelines.


Andrew stuck around long enough to get his medal, and then we took him home. He couldn't even muster a smile for the camera.


I don't know where James put his medal. I think he forgot about it! Oh, and he later caught the same bug.  I tried, but I believe they shared the same water bottle. I bet it was James trying to catch a sip of Andrew's flat Sprite.  Bring home a rare bottle of soda, and suddenly every boy in my house doesn't feel well.


No comments: