-The Pontipee brothers going to town with Millie to get supplies, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
Sometimes, the old sadness flares up again. But most times this is our family; we don't even notice it's all boys around here. Until funny moments pop up that remind me that these 4 boys don't have any sister(s).
For instance, my hair is getting pretty long now, and recently I put it in a simple braid for variety and to keep it away from my new habit of splitting the ends (you know what I mean, ladies. Can't. Stop.).
Benny sat behind me in the car and was awestruck by the braid. "Mom! How did you do that? What is it called? Could you do two? You would look like Anna on Frozen!" He has no sisters with elaborate hairstyles and must not really notice girls' hair at school or church that much.
Recently, I painted my toenails again to get ready for sandals. 3-year-old Andrew was enthralled by my pink toes.
Another time, the older two boys asked me seriously, "What's Strawberry Shortcake?" A friend of theirs has a sister into this phenomenon and they were dumbfounded by it.
Besides Frozen (and Tangled and The Princess and the Frog a few years ago), they haven't seen many any other Princess-type movies. When we rode The Little Mermaid ride a year ago at Disneyland they hissed, "What's going on? Who are these people?"
Each time this happens I think, they don't have sisters, they have no idea.
Except Andrew doesn't seem to be fazed. As we talk through potty-training we go through everyone we know who poops on the pot (if you are reading this, your name has probably come up, too). He told me the other day "My brudders and sisters go on the potty." Then, on our walk, he talked about his sister named "she-gator." I asked about her, and he said she liked to eat sandwiches.
So, maybe he knows something we don't know. Or he has been watching Frozen too much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
On the opposite note. My sister Ally and I were talking about Boy Scouts today. We both mentioned how clueless we are about the program because well it wasn't part of our house. I think we were teenagers when we attended our first court of honor and we were both like "this is weird what is going on". So funny Benny had no idea what a braid is. I guess my girls haven't helped teach them girly ways
I remember splitting your ends at times.
She-gator is a great name. I wonder why we never thought of it ��
Post a Comment