Saturday, October 1, 2016

About Andrew

JB and I were talking in-depth again recently about our children. As we adjust to having five, we worry about each child getting the attention they need.  And it changes different times in their lives.

Right now the baby and 3-year-old demand a lot of hands-on help and attention, and our 11 and 8 year olds are getting some through sports teams as we take them to practice and games. But our 5 year old seems stuck in the middle right now.  He is often overruled by older brothers or by a louder younger brother who scratches ("I wanna watch PAW Patrol, Anshew!"). I instituted a first-one-in-jammies-picks-the-first-book rule at night so that James wouldn't by sheer volume win. And Andrew hustles now.


He asked me to take a picture of him, and I realized I hadn't in a while. Look at him, with his Star Wars jammies from Nonna that he wears every night if he can.

I sometimes laugh or joke about the other kindergarten parents who are first-timers (many of Andrew's friends are the oldest in their families. It's the nature of this neighborhood, where young families are more abundant than older families). I think that things the school puts on like the bug show or jogathon or first day rituals are for oldest kids in kindergarten, but I am starting to appreciate them even for our third child in kindergarten -- it makes me stop and pay attention just to him and to enjoy these things all over again, through his eyes.

Here is a quick pic of Andrew at the incredible edible insect show in his class. His was made of 3 plums, with carrot legs that shriveled up and made him distraught, until his older brothers told him it looked cool. You know, sometimes those older boys are really helpful! Other times they try to ruin the magic of Christmas or favorite shows by telling him bare facts ("But mom, I couldn't lie!"   "But Ben, he's FIVE!").

Andrew is a running commentary. He is always chattering away to anyone nearby, and unfortunately those family members often tune him out or sometimes leave the room without realizing he is still talking. Imagination and what-ifs and discoveries made in school that day. He still tends to whine-cry when frustrated or stymied.

He is hobbit-like in his hunger, often announcing "I'm hungry" an hour after breakfast or as I have my finger on his light switch and am forming the words "good-night." I was bragging to parents of two of his friends that I put him and James to bed by 7:30. That very night he was calling up the stairs until 9 at different intervals for a) water b) something or another c) water and d) I'm bored. 

At this age, we had Max swimming, Ben playing baseball, etc; others do music or soccer, but Andrew isn't doing anything. Shoot, neither is James, and Ben was doing soccer at 3. It's just, new baby and working parents and bishop and 5 kids and -- busy.

At this age, Max was in 5/6 or even 6 sized clothing. Ben was also tall.  Andrew is 5T but some 4T still work around the waist. He often tags along around the yard or house behind Max and Ben and their friends (to M&B's chagrin), and begs for his own playdates. It's nice to have kids be old enough to come and go on their bicycles, but not 5-year-olds.

He and James are getting closer to playing together better all the time, which I long for. I think these two sets of boys came close together to be friends (M&B= 2 yrs 4 months apart, then a 3 year gap, then A&J=2 yrs 6 months apart). He is cute cute with "Mi-wee" (he is getting the ls in there more often) and will tug on her arm or leg or grab her hand or pat her head whenever he passes her. He did the same with baby James, he can't seem to help it.

Typing this helps me remember to look in his eyes more often, to not rush through his favorite dinosaur book, and to cuddle him more. JB gets it; he is very good at grabbing him and flipping him over his back or shoulder as they laugh together, or announcing, "I need an Andrew hug." Andrew just lights up.

As Andrew would say, "eeeeeehhhhhh!"

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Sweet post about a sweet boy!

cpace said...

What a sweet heart. I feel for him being the 3rd of 5. Aaron thinks Andrew is A+ in his book. He'd love to have him come talk to him all day if he could. Especially if it's about star wars

Emily said...

Brooke told me the other day that she was going to marry Andrew, so he has obviously made quite an impression on her. She has a thing for older men (comes by it honestly - ha ha). We miss seeing all those cute kids each Sunday!