Friday, January 25, 2013

Money Money

Somehow my 7 1/2 year old is under the impression that we are poor. I think it's because of the following reasons:

-I tell him I won't buy him an iphone or ipod or ipad, even though some friends may have one (sheesh)

-I gasped when I saw the Mad Science weekly afterschool program he wanted to do like his friends costs $98 (what a ripoff)

-I told him after he lost his gloves, then his lunch box, that he may have to start contributing to pay to replace them with his allowance and/or extra money from extra chores (I mean, c'mon!)


I've done radio stories on how to talk to kids about money, and the experts I interviewed said to tell them about choices, about saving and spending, about needs versus wants. I thought we were doing that, but maybe we need to step up the reassuring talk that we are doing just fine -- I caught him praying that we would be able to afford things!

4 comments:

Suz said...

I love that Max! I say keep it up it will be good for him.

Sarah said...

Hey, my 6 year old wants an iphone too!! We don't even own an iphone...but her mema does...so after playing with Mema's phone....she thinks she needs one. OH, and it doesn't help that our 6 year old neighbor girl has an ipod touch....serioulsly?? She made sure to let us know that it cost over $200!! Don't worry...our kids think we are poor too:)

Rachelle said...

I grew up thinking we were poor. It's easier than growing up having everything handed to you on a silver platter. When I lived on my own, it was easy to live within my means.

Sarah Preston said...

He is a Richards and I know inside him he is a work horse. It is a hard lesson to know that money doesn't grow on trees. I hated it that my parents would not buy me a car when all my other friends were getting cars from their parents. He will thank you later for teaching him to work for what he has.