Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yeay I'm a llama again


I have a condition. I am spitting more than a llama. Or Albert Pujols.

This started 6 weeks ago (insert wailing echo -- 6 weeks!) when I was on some pretty strong medication for a staph infection in my leg. I thought for sure it was a reaction to the antibiotics. I mean, why would someone suddenly have a mouth full of spit all.the.time ALL DAY AND NIGHT?

After trying numerous things to make it go away, it looks like I'm stuck with it. At my last doctor's appointment the nurse said it must just be a very rare symptom of pregnancy.

Why???? WHY????

This isn't just a little annoyance. I cannot talk for 45 seconds (and I know because I'm timed as a radio reporter) without my mouth filling up with saliva. I have to carry around a towel. I hang out near the sink at home. At work I have a spit cup, or keep the trash can close by. When we walk around the neighborhood I spit into the grass of every other house. Sorry neighbors.

There's nothing the nurse said that will make it go away, except time. Hopefully it will end any day now as I have entered the 2nd trimester. Pray with me. I don't want it to last until my due date on December 28.

The weird thing is I have no nausea. I feel yucky if I swallow the spit, but this pregnancy is nothing like my first two when I had nausea and threw up a few times.

So I asked the nurse if the difference this time meant it could be a girl? She said "No, that's just a myth."

Killjoy.

6 comments:

The Joe said...

Good Groove reference. And pujols...hehehe, pujols.

But seriously, that sucks toenails. Sorry chika.

Jenny Richards said...

Excess saliva is a pretty common symptom of pregnancy. The excess you are talking about may be a little more than normal but still normal.....(make sense?) Also a stuffy nose is a symptom. It's a good thing the end result is so great otherwise most women wouldn't ever have babies.

Lexie said...

Sorry about the saliva. I have friends that get that during pregnancy, but it does not sound fun. On the other hand, my pregnancies boy vs. girl have had some different symptoms, so don't believe the killjoy nurse too much...yet!

rosann said...

Spit away on my lawn (green or not!) anytime Mary!! Sorry about the excess saliva - aye... that would drive me crazy!!

Alyssa said...

First, congrats on the pregnancy! Second, I can relate (though not pregnant) only mine is mostly phlegm from crazy allergies. Gross, I know.

Nasher said...

This is the funniest blog post I have read in a very long time. Sorry you had to spit so much.