Sunday, August 9, 2009

Gimme gimme gimme

I just finished all the Harry Potter books again and I am in withdrawal. I need a new book to read. Preferably a series of books, because I love a good story that goes on and on.

I just adore getting swallowed up by the pages. Hungrily turning to read what happens next. Mumbling "Uh huh" to toddler questions beside me. Secretly staying up late by the light of my cell phone to squeeze in one more paragraph.

I may start The Foundation, LOTR, Anne of Green Gables, or Little House on the Praire again because those are all series and I own them. But I kind of want something totally new.

Anybody have a suggestion?

7 comments:

Bekah said...

I really like the Myth, Inc. books but they can be hard to find. They're about a magician's apprentice and a friendly demon. Very funny, satirical kind of stuff.

If you've never read The Golden Compass then you could try that series. I liked the first book. Being so controversial I'm sure you'll have no problem finding copies at DI. :)

You could try reading Dune. It might be hard to follow with toddlers interrupting all the time but it's a really good story and it spawned a really good SciFi miniseries (considered a must-see by at least 7 out of 10 Deardeuffs).

Suz said...

I just read Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and loved it. I read all 370 pages in less than 24 hours. I even contemplated not sleeping and when I did sleep, I dreamt about the book. It is a series. Hunger Games is the first book and Catching Fire is the second and it comes out in September. Read it, you will LOVE it!

Kim said...

I was just going to tell you about the Hunger Games too! And if you read it now, you won't have to wait as long for the second one.

Jacks said...

Oooh, I like staying up late with a really, really good book. I really have enjoyed the Fablehaven series. And the other, really long book, that I couldn't put down was Pillars of the Earth and it's sequal World Without End. I couldn't put both of those down. And they are both really long (and bit naughty).

Rachelle said...

A very sweet series more along the lines of the Little House or Green Gables books is one that starts with At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Very sweet, very unrealistic, happily-ever-after sort of book. It's not a page turner, more like a good ol' loyal dog. I've only read the first book, but I'm looking forward to the rest (there are NINE books in the series. . . )

autumn said...

You read by the light of your cell phone? I just let my lamp blare until 1 am. The hubby eventually grows used to it...I think.

I love the The number one ladies detective agency books. I have them all, there, now you must come and visit!

The Joe said...

I just read the mistborn series again and loved it. It's a fantasy trilogy, but not the stereotypical dwarves and elves type. Plus it's written by brandon sanderson who teaches at BYU. If you want a good series that isn't exceptionally long I highly recommend it. Or you could fall back to the legendary Enders game.