Sunday, March 29, 2009

A walk with Max


I have walked a half-mile in Max's shoes. It took 40 minutes.


JB was pushing the double jogger and I was walking beside him around the park. But for some reason (the memory is fuzzy) JB may have let Max out to walk beside us. We now know a universal parenting truth: Once you let a child out of a stroller, there's no getting him back in.


Max loved it at first, scampering beside us as we powerwalked up the hill. But he kept lagging behind. JB told him "Mommy can't carry you. If you are tired, jump back in the stroller." "No! I'm fine!" He'd say and keep running.


Well, eventually JB just kept heading for home with Benny peering back at us, and Max and I meandered through the looonnnnggg route back.


It kind of went like this.

"I'm tired. Hold me. "

"I can't hold you, you weigh 50 pounds."

"Look momma, a rock!"

"Don't throw the rock. Ok, don't throw it again."


Some moments of peace, some walking.


"Wow, a tractor! Can I go over there?"

"No Max, let's keep walking this way to our house...."

"Oooohhh, a school bus, wow!"

"Yeah, it's yellow and rectangular."(A teaching moment. He wasn't listening.)


He saw a tractor. I don't think I can spell out the excitement over that one.

We passed the high school and some skateboarders. He stopped and stared.

"Let's keep going, Daddy is waiting for us."

We slowly start again.


He found a stick and stopped again to dig in the dirt. By now I'm looking at every passing car wondering if JB has come to rescue me. It's been a half-hour since we waved goodbye.


"C'mon Max, only a couple more blocks."

"But I have this stick! I have to dig!"

Not two seconds later: "Hold me mommy, I'm tired."

"I can't carry you, you weigh 50 pounds!"


Finally we made it. JB and Benny were looking out the window for us. Max took the stick into the bathtub with him. They both needed it.

4 comments:

Ang said...

Note to self... don't let Ashlyn out of her stroller while on my walks. That took some patience Mary. I applaude you!

Suz said...

Max is such a boy!

Angelle said...

I loved your attempt at the teaching moment! Also, the stick getting a bath! Hilarious. We still have not narrowed down a double stroller we like. So in the last six months I've learned if I go out with the boys, what ends up happening is either an experience similar to your walk with Max -the forever prodding and pushing our toddler - or the abandoning the stroller with baby inside in attempt to physically withhold Chase from escaping. Neither one do much for my patience. :)

Bekah said...

I've read this post three times and I laugh every time. Maybe next time you could suggest a "race" to get him to hurry up, or bribe him with a prize waiting for him at home (let's hurry home so you can sit couch! Yay!). He must have been so excited to take a walk like a big kid.