Thursday, March 5, 2009

Motion Sickness

I hate the new motion sensors on, well, everything. Except the paper towel roll. I can take that.

You would think I would embrace them -- no more touching yucky toilet handles or sinks. But I find the sudden surprising spray to be more disconcerting.

I was sprayed today by an enthusiastic sink, so that's what's on my mind. But I have a funny story to share along the same lines.

A few months ago, while still nursing my pre-teeth baby, I pumped while away from him. I found a clean public bathroom one day while on a story assignment, and gingerly sat on the edge of a toilet.

After a while, the bathroom's motion sensor lights decided I was no longer in the room and switched off. Suddenly in the dark, I stood up. This activated the motion sensor flush, scaring me to death. I sprang away. Flush! I waved at the ceiling, walls, and door which finally got the lights back on, and I rushed out to the sink to wash up and get out of there. Spray!

2 comments:

Sarah Preston said...

I got sprayed by a toilet the other day. I wasn't on it for 10 seconds before it decided I wasn't on there anymore.
I feel your pain. Getting soaked is no fun

Anonymous said...

The toilets in my office have a time delay before they flush. Which makes for some anxious seconds when you've stood, zipped, and opened the stall door - especially if someone is waiting to use the stall. You don't want them seeing your business, you don't want them thinking you're a rude non-flusher, and there's that moment of panic when you wonder if the auto-flush is broken... I used to wave my hand in front of the sensor like a loon, trying to prompt it to go. Then I found a little black button and felt silly.