Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Fall

All of a sudden I want to buy a new Y sweatshirt, some pencils, and overly-priced textbooks. I graduated years ago but every time the weather changes from hot to less-hot I feel like I'm a college student again.

Driving to work in the morning the temperature is cooler. It's been cooler during the day too. As I drove to Provo for my brother's recent graduation and saw the Y on the mountain, I got butterflies in my stomach, and felt like I should get ready for the first day of class. There's something about the fall. I may like it better than spring. It's a time of new beginnings and football and pumpkin pie and seeing friends again after the summer vacation.

I imagine as I get older these college-aged feelings will fade even more than they are fading now. I hear from parents that you get different feelings as fall approaches, because your kids will be going back to school (unless they are on the increasingly popular year-round schedule). By the way I'm sure I'll cry when my boys head off with their little backpacks. Thankfully that's still a few years away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get what you mean about being nostalgic for school days. When it starts to get cooler and the leaves are turning I feel like I should be hiking with a backpack up to campus instead of driving 10 miles to sit in a cubicle. Sometimes I still wake up in a panic thinking I forgot to drop a class, never went, and now I'm getting an F!

Mark said...

Ang and I will occasionally go down to campus just to walk around... I always miss it. Thankfully I get a partial fix at Football games. It's crazy how just a slight change in temperature can take you places.