Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Spring/Summer

It is technically still spring, but it has been in the 90s all week.

JB goes on walks with the kids in the mornings, sometimes ending at the park. I try to walk/bike ride around the neighborhood every afternoon with at least the little kids, and it often includes a stop at our neighbors who have a candy basket...and a bunny.


Another neighbor has a turtle they bring outside sometimes. Here Greg is showing Millie how to use one finger to touch the shell.



Our neighbor across the street said his girls don't play with this slide anymore, so we are borrowing it. Andrew and James kept trying to haul Millie to the top and send her down their makeshift water slide one afternoon.



On early-out Fridays before school ended this year, the middle school set would skip the bus and walk home and plays at one of the boys' houses. (Once they went to a girl's house and Max said it wasn't that much fun). One recent Friday they came to our house. This is Spikeball, and Max and Ben are getting really good at it.


I bought popsicles and the kids tore through those pretty fast.


Isn't that picture just a hoot? James resting at the top with a turtle backpack, Andrew resting at the bottom. I think I used the promise of popsicles as a bribe for them to finish the neighborhood bike ride without complaining. (And i just found this post -- some things never change! And Max, Ben and Andrew were the exact same ages as Andrew, Ben and Millie right now.)

I have been keeping the sticks for crafts. Or walrus tusks.


Andrew's friend Eva is a good playmate.


I want to find a good balance this summer of play and structure. I still have to work early every morning, and JB still has to do his work from home. It can be a challenge to have kids at different ages with different friends and different ideas of what to do. So, we hope we can get through this!


No comments: