Sunday, June 10, 2018

James turns 5

James turned 5 years old this past week, and has been asking me ever since when his birthday will come again, because he has a list of things he wants for his NEXT birthday.




I made his cake, and JB made him pancakes. He also requested Chik-Fil-A for dinner.






He knew about his two presents earlier, because he saw them already. And at the end of the day, I was regretting putting batteries in his loud roaring walking T-rex.


I took these pictures on the last day he was 4 years old.


James and I have been going to counseling/play therapy for 4 weeks now, and I wish I could say definitfly that it is making a difference. But I do see glimpses of him learning to control his huge outbursts, and figure out his big emotions.

The therapist had him do some drawing recently, to sort out feelings and such. When he drew me, this is what he said: "She smiles."


So of course that made me all teary-eyed. I have been working on showing him more love, but some nights I feel like all I did was yell at him that day. While James meets with the therapist, I meet with another and we strategize the best "Positive Parenting Techniques" through the Triple-P method (like Love and Logic but not as manipulative). I then try to share them with JB and the family.

James still loves dinosaurs, superheroes and trucks and Legos. Batman and Spider-Man are the favorites, though Hulk is really up there as well.  He can't quite stop kissing Millie or squeezing her cheeks. He and Andrew can play really well together, but he still attacks sometimes. He probably loves Max the best because of the patience he shows with him in creating Legos. Ben also does great Lego building with him and for him.

His legs are tanned and shins are bruised from bike riding and outside play. He seems so tall lately. I have 5T in his drawers, but the size 5 and 5/6 are fitting too. He's almost as tall as Andrew, who is 2 1/2 years older. Sometimes their clothes and shoes seem interchangeable. His yearly checkup is next month, so we will see how he is tracking. Kindergarten assessments are in August! 

No comments: