I was on our usual walk around the neighborhood. James lately has taken to wanting to be pushed instead of ride his bike (and I did not want a tantrum) so I had the double stroller -- but one wheel is flat, so I borrowed a wheel from the single-jogger. I did not know it meant I could not set the brake.
I let go of the stroller and turned to help Andrew with his bike, had a thought to check the stroller but dismissed it, then I heard a crash and screaming. My poor baby was hanging upside down by her straps, and James had tumbled out and both were bleeding.
It looked worse than what it eventually turned out to be. James was bleeding from one knee and elbow and sobbing like he had broken a bone. Millie had a huge spot on her head that looked bloody -- and she was screaming so loud I thought for sure she had cracked her skull or had a concussion.
Two neighbors came right over -- one is a nurse and she checked Millie over and said she would be just fine, it was scratches and road rash and a big scare. The other, a sweet 17 year old, comforted James and washed him up and gave him bandaids. They also gave me big hugs because I was crying. I felt so bad for my children getting hurt because of my negligence.
This is Millie about an hour afterward.
This is Millie 5 days later, at our ward party Saturday night. You can see the bruises and cuts getting better.
Also, isn't she the cutest trying to eat an apple?
Just the week before, I covered a story about a group of kids in a little red wagon who had been hit by a car while trick-or-treating and spent several days in the hospital. The news business is pretty hard on this Momma. I keep picturing bad things happening to my kids. I am glad this wasn't worse.
Incidentally, when using Siri to voice-text my family about James's owies and Millie's "bad bonk," it autocorrected to "bed bunk." What kind of accent do I have?
1 comment:
Oh no! Sweet babes - glad they're okay.
Post a Comment