Max held Andrew or James's hand the entire 3 miles. He was an incredible help. JB held the other boy. Ben the mountain goat scampered up ahead over the rocks. We saw lots of tourists, even on a Monday. They were from all over the world. I realized that "baby" is the same in every language, because people would pass us coming or going, see the baby in the wrap, and start pointing or commenting. One man even took a picture, which was awkward because she was nursing in the wrap as I walked. Others took pictures of blonde JB and the boys.
The last 200 yards or so are on a cliff-side with a ledge. It scared me so much. It was like how I feel on the sky ride at Lagoon. Or how I felt on the zipline years ago. It was a wide-enough path to walk on, and even for people to pass, but, I was so anxious about my babies (here's a post from years ago about my over-active momma imagination). When you come around a corner, there is the arch.
Lots of rocks and outcroppings all around. People were climbing to get closer, but we stayed put. We needed the rest after the incline.
The way down was hard on our knees. When we could see the trailhead but still had some switchbacks, 3-year-old James's legs and his can-do attitude gave out. So Max carried Millie and I put James in the wrap carrier. JB, Ben and Andrew were ahead.
After a snack at the car, we looked at some other spots. Andrew and James rested with me while the bigs and JB checked out Sandhill Arch. I think the littles heard hike and thought it would be another 3 miles. This was only a third of a mile.
Then we all walked out to Double Arch.
The boys climbed a bit on the rocks along the trail.
JB caught Millie mid spit-up back at the car, funny girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment