I know some people have the time to read and watch lots while stuck at home. I am still very busy with work and school, but have had some time to compile a list of recent recommendations for you, my limited blog readers.
Books
Thank goodness for e-books from the library when we can't go get physical books yet!
Peter and the Starcatchers
Peter and the Shadow Thieves
etc
We finished Harry Potter after more than a year of reading out loud at night and needed something else. This series has been recommended to me before, and I finally got the e-books checked out from the library. Lots of adventure! Andrew is enthralled.
The 39 Clues
This series has been also fun to read with Andrew; hoping he'll take it up and read it on his own.
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
This was our book group selection for April. I loved it from the first chapter. I could picture the English village so clearly. He reminded me a little of Ove from A Man Called Ove.
The Summer Before the War
Same author as Pettigrew. It is about World War 1. It reminds me a lot of Rilla of Ingleside, the last in the Anne of Green Gables series, but with longer sections of dialogue. I enjoyed the sadness of it, if that makes sense.
Lost Roses
WW1 era again, but seeing more perspective of Russia, mixed with some Paris and NY. The lives of women intersecting through their trials.
The Boy on the Wooden Box
WWII -- one of the people saved by Schindler's list tells his story. I couldn't put it down.
Caroline
Told from the perspective of Laura Ingalls' ma during their time in Little House on the Prairie. I can't imagine having a baby like that, in a cabin in the middle of nowhere.
Shows/movies
Emma (2020)
It should have been in theaters but could not be. I streamed it online. The first time through I was a little shocked by two bum scenes (seemed unnecessary), but overall I really liked the cinematography, the quirkiness, the music selections, and much of the acting. Quite different from the sweet 1996 version and bouncy 2009 version.
The Fighting Preacher
Our friends lent us their DVD and we watched it twice with all the kids. A husband and wife called on a church mission to the Smith Farm House almost exactly 100 years ago. The First Vision was 200 years ago. I am so glad I got to go see this whole area in March and wish my children could go some day.
Belgravia
I miss Downton Abbey and this 6-episode show filled the void for me. Music and costumes and scenery are perfection. Victorian times. I watched it weekly on Epix on our cable tv package.
The English Game
Loved this 6-episode series on Netflix. Period costume drama + sports! My worlds collide. I watched it on my phone while sewing masks and may watch it again.
The Last Dance
JB watched this on ESPN and I feel bad I didn't watch more with him. It could have been something to share. And I while I think Michael Jordan was the greatest, the 97 and 98 losses to the Bulls were so painful. And that was the beginning of my time as a Jazz fan, having moved to Utah in spring 1997 to go to BYU. JB grew up a Jazz fan.
Loopers
This I did watch with JB on demand and we really enjoyed it. The story of golf caddies through the years.
Horatio Hornblower, Christy, Berkely Square
My neighbor lent me her DVDs of these TV series and I have liked them a lot so far. I watched many at the cabin when I was off work. "Horatio Hornblower" I watch with Ben while folding laundry. Such action! It was quite the production for A&E.
The Scarlet Pimpernel and the Count of Monte Cristo and Sneakers were good for movie nights with the big boys (if you can find them. I had them on demand). Also while sewing masks I tried an episode or two of Virgin River on Netflix but couldn't get into it, and a couple Hallmark movies I couldn't remember the names of if I tried. Kind of duds but nice background noise.
Podcasts
Ingles Insights
I listened to this with JB at night at the cabin. I have more saved on my phone and I think he's listening, too and enjoying them.
Office Ladies
Backstories of The Office and chat from Angela and Pam. Lots of advertisements though.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment