Last week, both older boys were struggling with stresses, fears, sadness and questions about school and friends and things like that.
Ben has had some hurt feelings from teasing and exclusion. Max has felt the full force of middle school craziness and anxiety this year.
8th grade is hard, I told Max, it's ok. I opened up about my terrible, awful, soul-crushing 8th grade year. I was new to the school and the whole area after my family moved. I was brutally teased over my appearance, sometimes my religion, and anything else girls and boys can pick on. I was quiet and shy and sad.
But I told Max that a good friend is key to surviving middle school. And I had two good friends who stuck by me and were always kind to me: Kathie and Faith.
The next day, I got a Facebook message from Kathie. I had not heard from her in 26 years, I hadn't even said her name out loud for years.
She wrote, "Is this the same Mary who once lived for a year in Basehor, Kansas? You came up as a suggested friend. I apologize if it is not the same one, but I remember her and she was a good person."
The tears came to my eyes as I quickly wrote back and we re-connected. We each expressed our belief that God had a part in bringing us together at this time. She then contacted Faith, who she knew still lived in the same town, and told her about finding me again.
Maybe some Facebook algorithm was at play here, but I have never been much at sharing locations on the site. I believe it was not a coincidence. It felt like a message from above: "I knew you then, and I know you now."
Heavenly Father was aware of me at a time when I felt my absolute lowest. He is aware of me now as I try to parent my sweet children through their own struggles. He is aware of my children and their hopes and dreams and struggles and fears -- and He will not leave them comfortless.
I told Max about all of this on a walk with just us around the neighborhood. And then repeated it to Ben that night when he and I took a special trip to the store just to walk and talk together.
Life is hard sometimes, but it gets better!
(me circa 1994)

2 comments:
How tender! Thanks for sharing that sweet blessing!
I love this simple testimony. Might share it with the young women when the time is right.
Post a Comment