A nasty cold virus has knocked our whole family flat. JB is the sickest I have ever seen him. Ben is on the mend. But Max's cough has been so barkingly, uncontrollably bad that I took him to the doctor yesterday. My neighbor said it could be the croup (to which I say, isn't that something Anne Shirley helped cure Minnie May of years ago?). But the doctor said it's just a bad bad bug. Plus she says he has a double ear infection now. The poor poor boy is so miserable.
As I was wheeling him into the store after our doctor visit to get yet more medicine and a humidifier, he started coughing again. Someone near us said "It's the swine flu." I wanted to turn around and yell, "Listen lady, I work for the news. Don't tell ME about swine flu! The doctor says it's a bad virus, and as you can tell he's covering his cough with a tissue, and I have hand sanitizer coming out my ears here as I push this cart."
The humidifier didn't seem to help his cough overnight, unless it could have been worse. And does anyone know how to make a stubborn almost-four-year-old take their medicine? I can understand not wanting to take Children's Tylenol or Benadryl, maybe he thinks they taste bad. But he needs to take the antibiotics for his ears, and he throws a fit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey Mary Lou, did you try a cold humidifier? It seemed to work for my kids. My kids have been sick forever as well. Sorry. I know when I take them places..I have to because they've had a cold for a month now, I tell them to try not to cough because I don't want dirty looks.
Get better soon!
Um, maybe you can tell him Shrek wants him to take his medicine? I don't know. This mom stuff is way out of my realm of experience! I feel bad for all of you.
Oh, I found some tips on Parents.com. I'm linking to them.
Tell him the deer will come and get him if he doesn't take his medicine. Just kidding, I just know how deathly afraid of deer he is. Good luck!
Mary-
So sorry! That stinks. It seems I read somewhere that humidifiers don't work...but I don't have a source so that's pretty unreliable info! Quick question - I'm going to Seattle next week and was wondering, which recommended restaurant was your favorite? =) Thanks!
I tell Millie the medicine is candy. Totally works.
Except for in the future when I catch her sneaking the candy from the medicine cabinet. But she'll be a teenager then and I can totally blame it on addiction.
I'm feeling sympathy for you. Good thing I can't catch the swine flu....uh, I mean, virus from blogging.
Honestly, sit him on the counter (you are going to need help maybe with this by the way) hold his cheeks with ones hand and squish them pretty hard so it makes a little hole with his lips. Get one of the medicine things that have the bulb on top. Then stick that thing in the very back of his cheek and squirt. Not too fast or it will just come out. When mine are being stubborn I do that. Mostly though mine take medicine fine. You could mix it in a drink but he would have to drink the whole thing. Good luck.
Good advice everyone! I am trying it all.
Kim -- if you like burgers, go to Red Mill Burgers (great smokey sauce). If you like seafood, the Crab Pot was really yummy. We wanted to try Slim's Last Chance for their chili verde but didn't make it.
Post a Comment