Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My pants and me

Why is it that my pants I find on sale never seem to look as good on me as my pants I pay full price for?

When I was pregnant with Max, I paid good money for a pair of maternity jeans from Gap. I love them. I felt actually cute in them while pregnant. During my second pregnancy, I found another pair of pregnancy jeans for 10 bucks at an unamed store. I felt great about the price, but never really felt good in them. I think they tapered at the ankles. But when you are that round in the middle, doesn't everything taper at the ankles?

Today I am wearing a pair of slacks I found for 8 dollars. I love a bargain. But whenever I pass a window or mirror I go, "hmmmm." I don't really like how they look on me. However when I wear the dark wash jeans I got a few months ago for full price I see the mirror and say, "Now THAT'S a bum to be proud of!"

What's with you, pants god? Do I look better in more expensive pants because I paid more so I subconsciously think I look good ("I had better look good, I paid good money!!")? Or does more expensive really equal better quality?

5 comments:

Alyssa said...

I am going to have to go with paying for quality - this is the reason my sister and I have banned the Gap outlet in Park City from our shopping list. They have cheap things and they look cheap. The seams don't fall right, the cut is always off. Their clothes are clearly the rejects from the normal Gap (unlike other outlets that seem to be the same clothes just overstocks or from a past season). I'm a lover of quantity (more clothes for my $) but sometimes quality is what makes me feel so much better when I look in the mirror.

Mary said...

That's funny! These pants I'm complaining about? From the Gap Outlet in Park City! The dark wash I love are from the regular Gap.

Jenny Richards said...

You seriously crack me up. I have a really hard time paying 60+ dollars on a pair of jeans. So I tend to have the same couple pairs til the completely wear out. I have found some cute jeans at Kohls that I like and seem flattering, and on sale. I just had to try on 12 pairs first.

autumn said...

I agree with the comments. You either have to try a bazillion cheap pair of pants to find a pair that are okay. But, in my experience, the pants that are on sale are on sale because they don't look good on anyone, whereas the non-sale items are that way for a reason. This is why I only own one pair of pants. Shirts and skirts are a little easier to buy on sale.

Bekah said...

I think it has to do with your reason for buying the pants. With expensive pants or jeans you buy them because you look good in them. With cheap pants you buy them because they fit and they're cheap. I think it's possible to find cheap pants that look good, but you have to be just as selective in the sales rack as you would be with the full priced clothes.