Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Be of Good Cheer

I had a draft I wrote in August that I don't think I should ever post. It was written in a time of a lot of anger and frustration and sadness over decisions by our city and school board. I picked myself up and kept trudging along.

This past week and a half was rough again. I have done lots of crying over politics, the pandemic, school board decisions, and sad things happening to family members.

"How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't, at least not in the moment," said Joseph B. Worthlin in 2008. But he said we can say, "Come What May and Love it," when we remember an eternal perspective.

I spoke Sunday in church about how we can be of good cheer during trying times. And it was all I could do not to cry the whole time. I know I am not alone in these feelings, which helps. But also makes me sadder when I know we are all sad, and I can't control it!

I started the talk by telling the story of our adventure on the Route of the Hiawatha (blog post here).  Andrew and I were nervous on the high trestles. But when we focused on pedaling on the path, and didn't obsess over the perceived danger, we got through it. Sometimes James was nervous in the long tunnels. But Max would encourage him, "It's almost over, it's only dark for a little while."



I'm trying to focus on humor and gratitude and remembering how I can be a good influence in my own home, even when I cannot change anything happening in the city, state, country or world.  

But most of all, I repeat, "This too, shall pass." The trestle and the tunnel will end. 

And in the end, while leaning into faith and hope, we will have a changed nature. We will be more empathetic and compassionate for others. And the next trial will perhaps be easier to bear, knowing we got through this one.