Saturday, June 1, 2019

It's just Millie's world

Millie thinks she can scream "jump," and we will all say, "how high, sweetie?" She does get us to do her bidding a lot, but I am trying harder to get her to at least ask nicely. 

I took a parenting course last year when James was going to a counselor to help him with his big feelings. The counselor told me to work on making my instructions shorter, and to the point. Say what you don't want, say what you want, and praise the behavior. 

For example: "Millie. No screaming. Use a soft voice. What do you need? 
GOOD USING YOUR WORDS!"

Some of this is just typical 2 year old behavior, some of it is being the baby of the family. But when she is not screaming, she is so so cute and sweet.

Here she has convinced Max to let her stay up later with him, and watch Frozen songs.



And she got him to squeeze in with her in Nona's play house.


She loves carrying various treasures around in her hand. I remember for Max at this age, it was chapstick. I can't remember what our other boys carried around or if they did as much. It changes every few days for this girl. Soap, nail polish, a battery, and lately, my makeup.



She LOVES dresses and skirts. Hates pants or shorts (and shirts, sometimes). She asks to wear one of her Nona dresses EVERY DAY and we talk about how they are for Sunday. Then I am saving them carefully for her, in case she has a daughter some day.



Here she is again, with Max (her favorite brother lately), in a dress. 



It's either a dress-up princess dress or a cotton dress or her nightgown. I am not kidding about the nightgown -- this outfit below is a baby nightgown with tights.


(snowball bush first featured on this blog ten years ago in this post)

She refused pants for a cold day at the park, so tights it was under her dress.


Or her swimsuit. Swimsuits are also acceptable clothing for this funny girl. And she wants things to be pink, if possible. In this picture below, JB had asked her, "Millie, what color is your dress?" and she said, "Not pink."





I'm just eating it up. It's such a difference from the boys! Though actually, Ben was always very particular about it needing to be sports clothing. For example, see this post about his habits when he was three.

No comments: