Friday, March 3, 2017

Always learning

Our neighbors have had their 6 year old daughter in the hospital for asthma, pneumonia and every lung/breathing problem imaginable this month.  She is in Andrew's class at church and at school, so we have been keeping him updated about how she is doing.

I showed the boys a picture her mom sent of Eva opening a nail salon from her hospital bed, and painting the nurses' nails.

All but Max were so confused.

Ben: "So...what are they doing? Clipping the nails?"
Me: "No, painting them. Like at a salon or spa."
Blank stares.
Me: "They take turns, and pay for it at the real thing."
Andrew: "OH! Like a restaurant but for nails."
Me: "Exactly!"
Max: rolls eyes

The younger boys must have forgotten the last time I painted my nails. I have been lazy this winter.

I also know they haven't had a sister around who is interested in these things.  So I jumped at the chance for more femininity around here, and agreed to watch Eva's 3 year old sister Grace for an afternoon, to help their parents during all of this. 

I think I was expecting her to ask for dolls (I have some now for Millie!) and I thought I could even braid her hair if she wanted.

Nope.

She immediately went straight for the train tracks, Magformers and indoor basketball hoop, and had a great time playing tug of war with Andrew and James.

I felt foolish for the assumptions I keep making (see here and see here for example) about what boys and girls are like and what they should be like. 

No comments: