Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Swim lessons

For many moons I have said the little boys ought to have swim lessons. Finally I got them signed up. See for yourself how it is going:


Some tears the first night from Andrew: "They made me put my face in the water!" But James liked it. Though he had a hard time staying with the group and following instructions. They were supposed to walk like crocodiles on their hands through the shallow water but he marched the other way swinging his arms like a gorilla.

The next week Andrew was growing more sure of himself but James was full of tears.  I snuck this picture from my perch on the bench before going over to unwrap James's clinging arms from the teen instructor's poor neck.


They are both older than Max and Ben were when we started their swim lessons at this pool. While watching Andrew grow more confident with jumping in from the side, I had a fun flashback of Max jumping ONTO his instructor wanting to be caught instead of jumping into the water.

We go back again tonight. Anytime I bring it up, James insists he is done, while I insist he try again. I remember being 6 or 7 and hugging the side for my lessons. There were races with a floaty blue kickboard for the last day. My mom bribed me with my very own personal pan pizza if I would just GET in the water. She says I jumped right in and won the race.

No comments: