Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Pocatello Temple

 It's time for the open house for the new Pocatello Temple, and we got some of the passes (it's free, and you should go if you live anywhere close!)

We drove up Friday after school. Look at the beautiful sunset from Joe and Sarah's porch.





These cousins love to play together. 




This guy loves to take selfies with babies and I love to see them show up in the camera roll. 


Saturday morning we went over to our tour. The temple is larger than I realized. It is absolutely beautiful inside and out. These kids were very reverent and respectful as we walked through. I wanted to be able to tell them things about the different rooms, but had to do it quietly and briefly.  





There was a protestor outside with a sign greeting the crowds coming off the shuttle buses, and it made Andrew upset. We talked about freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I told him he could contrast the feelings he felt from the sign the man was carrying, compared to the peaceful beautiful inside of the temple and the promises made inside. 

Inside, there were paintings and pictures of Christ everywhere. And in the main front area is an original Minerva Teichert painting, called Not Alone. Joe talked to the kids about the story of Mary Fielding Smith and her faith.

Here is a copy I found online.



Here is what Andrew drew the next day in Church.


Mary Fielding Smith is painted with angels behind her, helping her on the journey. We sometimes may not see God's help in our lives, but it is there.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Wow, what a gorgeous sunset and even more wonderful family in that first pic!! Love the Minerva Reichert, especially given our CFM study this week about the ministering of angels being available to ALL (not just priesthood bearers) who receive Aaronic priesthood ordinances, like the sacrament. And I love how Andrew was able to feel the contrast between peace and conflict. Good job teaching these kids, Momma. You're doing an amazing job!