Our dentist mentioned a year ago we should probably look at getting Max's wisdom teeth out. Then the x-rays showed Ben needed them out, too, especially because of another molar in back that was snagged in coming down.
So we finally found a time when both boys had a long enough break from all their sports and activities and booked them back-to-back.
Here they are in the waiting room.
Max went back first, and when I saw him in recovery he was very groggy and medicated but asked first about Ben and asked second about when he could eat.
Then they opened the door for Ben to come out, and we heard him holler down the hallway in his groggy medicated voice, "Maaaaahahhhxxxx! Where's mah BROTHER?!" Max hollers back, "BENNNNNNN!"
I went around to get the car and they were holding hands in their wheelchairs and the nurses were really having a great time with their obvious concern for each other.
They got into the car and hugged again.
I took so much video. SO much.
I facetimed JB so he wouldn't miss the incredible things they were saying. They wanted to go get shakes RIGHT THEN. They also wanted to see Millie and wondered why she wasn't in the car.
Then when I pulled up to our house, one of them said, "Whose house is this?"
"It's ours," I said.
Ben: "What a beautiful American flag!"
Then both boys started belting out, "And I'm proud to be an AMERICAN, where at least I know I'm FREEEEE."
They spilled out of the car and JB took this photo, which looks like zombies at Frightmares.
We spoonfed them some shakes and yogurt got them started on their Ibuprofen/Tylenol regimen (I did not fill the opioid prescription. I've done too many stories on the problems).
When the surgery meds began to wear off, they started to feel really sad and uncomfortable. It is hard as a parent to see your child this way. But I knew it would get better, and I kept reminding them that.
James and Andrew offered to be their butlers for a few days.
They recovered Saturday but went to Church on Sunday because they knew they needed to help with the sacrament (we don't have many active young men, especially over the summer). I tried to encourage them to rest a lot and keep on top of their pain meds and mouth rinses and ice packs.
They were mostly upset they couldn't eat much real food.
Ben especially felt like he would never feel better, especially by the fourth or fifth day when the swelling was the highest. He had the extra problem of that other molar. We started to use heat on the spot.
Bit by bit things got better. And somewhere in this past week, they didn't notice how, they felt good again. Today, two weeks later, they feel great.
1 comment:
Funnyyyyy!!! I love that they got to do this together. Such good brothers - all 4 of them!
Post a Comment