Max is now a sophomore and Ben is a 7th grader. But I have no pictures of them on their first day of school, because it's just been so....not normal.
JB did take these pictures of Ben waiting for the bus for the day he was assigned to go to the school to pick up a laptop and get some training. It was just him and one other kid on the bus.
They were delayed 2 weeks already, then the windstorm hit and each day we weren't sure whether there would be or school or not. Then they officially finally began their online work this past Monday. Max had an 8am zoom but Ben's schedule started with remote assignments that day.
Ben has asked me a few times for help figuring out the system and juggling his 7 middle school classes. Here's the flow chart we were sent to figure it out (before the principal sent an easier-to-understand schedule):
Max is doing pretty well (the high school cut it to 4 classes each term....which means though he'll have big breaks without learning half the material). At least they each have a device from the district and we are not juggling!
I go back and forth between being sad they have lost so much, and angry the board voted for this. But then telling myself to try to keep a good attitude about something I cannot change. I am trying to have empathy for others and their fears, too, during the pandemic.
I am even more grateful a few days in to this that we got the two little boys into classes in-person (and I pray their school will keep it that way). It takes a lot of tech support and help and supervision and internet access and enough devices. While both of us parents work full-time from home right now. I've heard from other families how difficult it has been with their little kids. Fingers crossed it gets better.



No comments:
Post a Comment