What a nice surprise we had last Friday night. We had just gotten back from a dinner in the canyon with other bishops and our state presidency, to find a young woman hovering around our yard. She asked with an accent if this was "the home of Richards" -- and she and JB started speaking in some English and Portuguese, and it turns out, she is the daughter of a man in Brazil who JB baptized on his mission!
Sabrina is here for school learning English. She got her dad on a video call and I had to take a picture of the conversation to text my dad saying, "Portuguese in my living room right now -- a mission reunion across the time zones." (My dad served in Brazil, too.)
Seriously, how cool is that? Ruy is still active in the church and from the bits and pieces I caught from knowing some Spanish, it sounded like such a nice catch-up.
We invited Sabrina and her friend Steven over for dinner on Sunday.
No, we did not serve Brazilian food, we served "American food" because Sabrina says she is loving fast food here in the States. So it was a menu of hamburgers, watermelon, potato salad, regular salad, chips, brownies and ice cream.
She is doing very well with English. She and her parents say we should go visit Brazil and visit them, which made my boys super excited about the possibility. That would be a dream trip for sure.


4 comments:
That is sooo cool! I bet JB was over the moon!
I don't think I knew JB served in Brazil! My dad and two brothers, plus one of my brother I laws all served heir missions in Brazil!
Ugh so many typos -- but I'm too lazy to retype it all!!
Post a Comment