The baby did a four hour stretch of sleep so I came out to feed her on the couch knowing this could be a long feeding, and I'm typing one-handed and burning my eyes on the laptop screen in the dark.
Living the dream.
Seriously, though, I think things are going well. We have rough patches, with sleep-deprivation and such. I am learning to walk around and nurse sometimes, because otherwise I am glued to one spot while the brothers (mostly 3 year old James) tussle. Then it is me yelling "stop that!" but he knows I have no go-go-gadget arms to reach him. He is cute and soft with the baby, but, the other boys' faces have gouge marks from his trying-to-adjust-to-this big-change fingernails.
One night while tucking the little boys in, I said to Andrew, "I feel like it was a rough day with a lot of yelling."
Him: "Yeah, and you did most of the yelling."
Tonight he prayed the baby wouldn't cry so much. Yet earlier he begged me to put her down and help him with something, saying, "she can cry for a minute like when you go to the bathroom."
Today we did all day without JB, and the big boys were at a day camp. By 6 PM when Max was going to scouts and JB to his Wednesday night meetings (Ben's scouts was canceled), I decided I needed a treat and batteries for the baby swing we borrowed from my brother Peter. So three of the boys and the girl and I headed to the store, with me in the same big baggy shorts and maternity shirt I've worn for 2 weeks and no makeup.
A woman with a toddler passed me as I was pushing the big car cart with Andrew and James "driving" and one of my hands holding a binkie in the baby's mouth and Ben walking beside -- she said "you're my hero." I laughed, then choked up a bit. I normally don't take multiple children anywhere. I avoid it! I don't have to. JB shops and cooks and works from home and I am blessed, I wanted to tell her. I know other moms of 5 kids whose husbands' jobs mean they are alone all day everyday -- they need some praise!
Anyway, I know why people don't go anywhere for a while after a new baby: germ worries, postpartum healing, constant nursing, and nothing fits! But I know it gets better.
Pictures from my phone. These booties I crocheted . And Andrew toes.
A picture JB sent me from Lagoon on Monday. He took all four boys there by himself again. The bigs ride water slides and check in: James got tuckered out in the kiddie area.
Scripture reading with the bigs (and the littlest) one night.
Morning mauling. She just wanted tummy time.
Sunday best. I tried a dress from my brother Michael on Millie, and the boys wanted to take her with them to church. Maybe next week we will try sacrament meeting. I do miss it. And reports are the boys are behaving be-yew-tafully. Many thanks to Roger and JoLynn and Katie for that while JB is up on the stand!
A James selfie.
OK, she may be done eating. Time to try and sneak some more zzzzzzzzs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ahhhh,the one handed typing. I had forgotten those days! Well done on the outing!
That first outing is so daring! Way to go! I had a lady comment that "I had my arms full" with just my three boys. You must've had things under control if you had the "hero" comment. Awesome!!
You're /my/ hero. I've got two. I get anxious thinking about five! I'm absolutely flabbergasted that mom had twelve! ��
Post a Comment