Thursday, May 21, 2015

Coyote Gulch

Last weekend JB took a 3 day, 3 night camping trip with some good guy friends to Coyote Gulch, in the Escalante area of Southern Utah.

He left Wednesday night, and Thursday morning the meteorologist in my newsroom had talked about flash flood warnings for that area. Gulp.  Then another wife showed me a picture her husband sent of funnel clouds nearby them. Double gulp.  But when JB got a cell signal and called, he said they were really lucky that the major storms all missed them.


One of their group is a professional photographer, so feast your eyes on the beauty:



 

JB's picture of the storm clouds that missed them:



Some more images:

  

This is before they prepared to drop down into the gulch through the "Crack in the Wall". Those words gave me pause but JB says it wasn't as scary as this perspective looks.  They backpacked in and camped there one night.


 


See that narrow crack in the image below.  It's about  18 inches wide.  You have to kind of shimmy sideways to get through it.  In all about 700 feet elevation difference from the rim to the canyon floor.







This is my main squeeze, being squeezed.




Saturday's hike JB says was much more doable for kids (and high-maintenance Marys). It was flatter, and ended with a beautiful waterfall.

 



I am always amazed at the beauty and diversity of my own state, and think I ought to get out more and show my boys these amazing things.  

The boys and I stayed with Nona and Papa Wednesday and Thursday night so they could help the boys the next morning, because I leave so early to be in the newsroom at 4 AM. Then JB was back Saturday night to lots of hugs.




2 comments:

Suz said...

Gorgeous Photos! I'm definitely not in a state for shimmying but someday I would love to do this hike.

Rachelle said...

Stunning!