Monday, August 26, 2013

Potty training? Um, no.



Last week Andrew was dry all night, and he suddenly wanted to wear underwear and go on the potty.  Those sound like signs that it's time to potty train, right?

Nah.

Don't wanna.

Don't feel like it.

Don't make me!  

That's me talking, not the Drewbers.

I do not like potty training. It takes months, it breeds bad feelings, it creates so many battles and it's messy (I'm reminded of this post about Max in 2008).

JB and I don't think we will push it yet. Max and Benny were well past three years old when it finally clicked, and Andrew isn't three until December. Plus I still have a baby that nurses pretty often. I have memories of sitting on the bathtub edge nursing a baby Andrew and begging Benny to "just go in the POTTY!" (Reminds me of this post from January 2011)

Andrew loves wearing Lightening McQueen and feeling the free-bum of no diaper, but doesn't quite get the concept of going to and on the toilet. We have the little potty waiting in the bathroom, and I'm hoping his older brothers can persuade him and help him along in this process. Wouldn't that be great?

3 comments:

cpace said...

It took Jane telling me "I poop in potty today for me to face the training" When your ready I've been talking to lots of boy moms about potty training (I want to be totally ready with Aaron) and not that I know from experience but it seems that successful ones say with boys it all about getting rid of the diapers completely, even though there's nothing worse than poopy underwear and after a few days of not having the choice to go back it clicks.

Rachelle said...

I'm all for getting the older boys involved! Carter and Anna were a HUGE help when Ella was potty training, and we specifically held off on potty training Brynna until the older three were out of school and around to help.

On the other hand, Anna showed signs of wanting to potty train around her 2nd birthday, and I was NOT ready to take on the hassle. By the time I was ready, she wasn't interested anymore. Consequently, she has been my hardest one to potty train so far. Whenever you decide to jump into potty training with Andrew, GOOD LUCK!!!

Dr. LeAnne Deardeuff, D.C. said...

Tell the boys to float a piece of toilet paper in the toilet and teach Drew to sink the boat. That is how my Amish friend has her kids teach her boys. LOL! I would think it would need some rules. Like, only one square, clean up your misses, etc.