Monday, December 3, 2012

Perspective

It's funny, people's attitudes and perspectives toward pregnancy.

At church, I get big smiles and comments like, "How exciting!" And I get the feeling some are thinking, "It's about time, Andrew is just about 2 years old now after all."

But at work, two people said -- I kid you not -- "Was it planned?"

Gulp.

I feel for those couples who are unable to get pregnant easily or even have a baby at all. The questions and stares they must endure.  And I feel for those who have their families more quickly -- they also get comments and stares. 

You can't win!

----------

This awful spituation of mine is also forcing me to gain perspective.  It does me no good to cry and be depressed over the awfulness and embarrassment and gagginess it gives me. 

Having to spit out a mouthful of saliva every 30 seconds day and night is terrible.  But there are more terrible things in the world, and this will end in 5 1/2 months. 

I know of so many wonderful people who would do anything to be able to have a baby.  I'm blessed and grateful for this opportunity to bring a new sweet life into the world.

Instead of praying for the symptom to end, I pray instead for a healthy baby.  And I pray I will be kinder to others and understand their hidden challenges and griefs.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I always felt a little embarrassed when I was pregnant with my 4th - like people were thinking, "You know how that happens, right? And there ARE ways to prevent this, ya know. . . " Now, I feel like having 5 is quite an accomplishment. It is certainly the hardest thing I've ever done, and I feel like I should be applauded when I make it through each day! I've grown to enjoy seeing the huge eyes and hearing the "W-O-O-W"s I get when I tell people Griffin is my 5th baby. :o)

Add me to the list of people who are absolutely thrilled for you. I didn't think "Well, it's about time" OR "Gosh, ALREADY?" I just thought, "Yay! Another cute Richards baby in the world!" I'm sorry for everything about your spituation, but I'm impressed with your perspective.