Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What would you wish with a bump on your head?

I wanted to a)be a cool mom, b)feel 20 years younger, and c)help my boys burn off their energy, so I set up a jumping pile at the bottom of the stairs.

The boys didn't know what to do about it. Ben rolled around in the blankets saying "night-night," Max looked expectantly at me, so I thought I'd show them how it's done.

Foreshadowing: We live in a 50s house with a lower ceiling in the basement. At the bottom of the staircase the ceiling dips even more. My 6'2" husband ducks.

My story continues. I picked the third stair up, said "Watch mommy!" Then I crouched my knees and jumped. BONK! I landed flat on my back, clutching the top of my head.

I didn't see stars, but I did see two little faces peering over me. One curious, one anxious. So I laughed. I laughed til I cried. Whoa dang it hurt. I felt like those cartoon characters who get thumped, or a conehead. Even two days later it still hurt to wash my hair. At work, my radio headphones hurt the top of my head when I put them on. But every time I think about it, I have to laugh. It really was so silly.

Max didn't mind. He was soon jumping gleefully into the pile of blankets, burning off that energy and hopefully thinking his mom was cool.

6 comments:

katie b. p. said...

HAHAHHA!!! You are probably the coolest mom in the whole world! That is so awesome you even thought of that idea and then tried it! I like you.

JoLynn said...

Mary! I must be totally old because I kept thinking "No...so wouldn't jump because she could get hurt" and then I read you jumped! You are so funny!

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at your title, remembering that horribly mean birthday game we used to play. Heavy heavy hang over thy poor head... Who came up with that anyway?!

What a cool mom you are! I hope your head feels better. I've been known to do stuff like that. I especially have to watch out for open cupboard doors. There have been a few times I've hit my head on a corner while emptying the dishwasher. Ouch.

Jacks said...

You are a good Mom. because 1) I would have never thought to set up a jumping pile, and 2) you didn't swear. You laughed! I totally would have spilled out a few naughty words in my moment of pain. You're amazing!

Sarah said...

Umm....you seem to be a more adventerous mom then me. I am for sure you are on the "cool" list for Max! Only cool moms jump off the third step and actually get hurt:)

Lexie said...

Ouchie, hey at least you took one for the team. For what it's worth I think you are a very cool Mom! Hope your head feels better soon!