Thursday, February 5, 2009

Manipulation

Please tell me I'm not a bad mother.




Remember this happy face from Christmas? He was so excited about the big boy bike Santa sent him. Since then, we've had only a few opportunities to practice riding it. Inversion, cold and fatigue have all been in the way.




But the last few days have been warmer, and surprisingly sunnier. So out we went. But Max didn't want to ride much. He often hopped off and walked with his bike along the sidewalk, meaning I had to drag it through the icy spots (people who don't shovel their sidewalks irk me but that's another post).




I was so tired of pushing Ben in the stroller and dragging the bike, or waiting for Max to keep up as he walked beside his bike, that I finally said "Do you not like riding your bike anymore? Should we give it back to Santa Claus?"




Yes, I said that. I'm terrible. His sweet face fell. That night in his prayers he mentioned it -- "Please don't let me give my bike back to Santa."




I still feel horrible.




But yesterday, we had a break through. We went down to the elementary school after hours, and let him ride on the blacktop. He did fantastic! He loved riding his bike. It turns out he was so afraid of riding off of the sidewalk into the street that he was walking beside his bike instead. Apparently my "Watch out for cars!!! Stay off the street!!!!" has sunk in.




We'll do it again today. He's come a long way from his little trike riding days of yesteryear.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

ahhh. i am guilty of doing the same thing... i think it's why we give our kids gifts, to make them do what we want them to... (nah, i'm just kidding!)

what a cute bike! Max looks so happy riding it!

JoLynn said...

You make me laugh...I can see how Max would think he needs to stay out of the road.