Sunday, April 10, 2022

Spring Break - More beach, two parks and dinner with friends

 Wednesday morning we went to a park in the Carlsbad area that I saw on Instagram called Odyssey Park. This is quite impressive. Built into a hill, with a zip line and basketball court and other amenities. 




Amenities like this weird double swing -- separation anxiety much?


That afternoon we walked back down to the beach.




I'm not sure what these two buddies are doing, but they were laughing a lot.







Then they played a "bury Max" game.


This girl just couldn't get enough of the ocean. But she never went in too far. Too cold.




On Thursday morning, Max joined JB for a walk along the beach.



Then we drove to Oceanside and walked out on the pier.  This is near the beginning.




We spotted some pigeons and I think Andrew and James tried to name them.



Here's further down the pier. We met the nicest man, a volunteer with Oceanside Police who walks up and down the pier every Thursday (7 miles by the end of the day!) and talks to folks.


After that, we ate at Angelos and at a Mexican place next door with loaded fries and fresh guacamole I keep thinking about.




Then luck and Google led us to a nearby park called Buccaneer Park. Andrew is a tree-climber.




Some of the features matched what the kids have at their school, but the ropes were all new to them and quite fun.




Max and JB tossed the football.



More basketball for these boys.



Then that night, we took pizza to our friends the Davises, and stayed in their Casita for our last night in the area. Millie loves these California friends and talked about them since last July. James loves how William has a great Pokemon collection. (Allyson is our sister-in-law Collette's sister, so these cute kids are our kids' cousins' other cousins.)



Friday morning, we were up and leaving at 6AM and drove all day to get back to our house in SLC that evening. We entered a long wait for either a crash or construction, and got all loopy/giddy making up stories about the other drivers — including a truck driver in front of us who took it as his duty to block two lanes so no one could try to drive around him. We just kept laughing at his antics.

The next day I was working for Church News covering general conference and I was gone at least 12 hours Saturday and maybe 9 hours Sunday. I was grateful for the time we had all spent together that week before hand!



1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Such a lovely trip! I love all the pictures on the boardwalk. I want the job of walking the beach and talking with people! That double swing looks fun. I think I would prefer to "push" my kids by swinging myself, instead of standing next to them and pushing by hand. Core workout and fun while keeping the babes entertained!