Monday, October 19, 2020

Vice Presidential Debate

This month the University of Utah hosted the vice-presidential debate, and I was credentialed to be there for our morning shows.

I had to have a background check, and get a Covid test and follow lots of protocol and rules to be in the secure perimeter. Oh, and I had to give myself the swab in my nose and throat to test for coronavirus! That was not my favorite.

I got there before 4 AM to park and then ride the shuttle to the spot with Secret Service and then pass through to the media tent. I was the only one for a while in this huge tent full of desks and TVs and cords. Most people were there that night for the debate (though it never filled up).

I took this photo with the timer. I was supposed to wear the mask, even being the only one there.


Later they made me change to one of their official medical masks. There were boxes of the masks and buckets of  hand sanitizer all over the place. My boss asked me if I felt unsafe but I never did. Everyone inside the perimeter had tested negative for Covid. We all had to have a green wristband.

Here's what Kingsbury Hall looked like as the sun rose. Those risers were all set up for lots of TV cameras and national crews. I met folks from CNN, Fox News, and USA Today.


There were so many signs and banners all over the place. I think they expected more national attention and media pictures of the campus, but it was so locked down. 


They gave me a bag with University of Utah 2020 VP Debate swag on the labels, like these T shirts, cups, buttons, stickers, more hand sanitizer, etc.





I took that picture around 2:30 or 2:45 PM when I finally got home.



1 comment:

Rachelle said...

So, so, so cool! Totally thought of you as we watched the debate.