Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Peace at the Salt Flats and through General Conference

One night last week I went to bed with a pounding headache, churning stomach, racing heart and tight chest. I knew it was anxiety over everything going on, or I would have thought it was almost a heart attack. Worries about my children's school work and them falling behind. Worries about JB's mortgage business (and basically the whole economy). Stressing over my Conference documentary past due. Even worries about another earthquake. After a heartfelt prayer and deep breaths and a good sleep, I was able to turn in the documentary the next morning.

And then we left the house and drove and drove....100 miles west to the Bonneville Salt Flats. We were all alone out there.

I felt I could breathe again, seeing the blue sky, and having a load lifted off my shoulders.  I think the children felt so much better, too. They ran all around and yelled and had some freedom for the first time in weeks.







I also felt peace from the very first lines of the first hymn at General Conference, "It is well with my soul."

This full-time schooling thing is still going on, JB and I still have stressful full-time jobs, we still can't go anywhere, but if I remember the peaceful feelings I got at the Salt Flats and during Conference, I can chose faith over fear.

"Even in the midst of unique trials and challenges, we are truly blessed." - President Dallin H. Oaks, Sunday afternoon session, April 2020 General Conference.

1 comment:

Collette said...

Aren't we blessed to live in a place where around the corner is sone isolated space. I can't even imagine how hard it would be to be in New York or China where you can't even leave your small apartment.