Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Recommendations part 2

Other things that have caught my fancy lately, just in case you care.



"Provo's Most Eligible." YouTube. JB watched this first and told me I just had to see it.  Formerly known as "The Bachelor of Provo," until they got that good ole cease and desist letter. If you went to BYU or ever spent time in Provo, you will cringe-love-hate this. It is that bad! I think it started as a guy trying to get his roommate a date, and it went viral. Good recap posts are over at The Beehive.com


Rhett and Link.  I saw a clip of them a couple years ago doing, "Will it S'more?" and I laughed til I cried. So I started watching their daily YouTube show "Good Mythical Morning" when I can. Each episode is usually less than 15 minutes, which is about how much time I have in chunks to watch a show. They are childhood best friends from North Carolina who will eat anything and try anything. Every episode is pretty clean (they have kids), but they do remind me of my younger brothers sometimes when they get a little gross.


Speaking of boy stuff, my boys really like Dude Perfect. This is one they ask me to watch with them and I don't mind. Five funny guys trying everything from trick shots to epic Nerf gun battles. First on YouTube but now they have a TV show, too. 


Studio C we can all watch together, either a whole show from BYU TV or separate skits posted to YouTube. I am feeling so-so about the original cast's new venture, JK Studios. Some Studio C sayings have become part of our family jokes. Just now in the kitchen near me, Andrew is saying "Lobster BISQUE."  And we all talk about how we "don't do mornin's" like Star. Or if we get out some cheese to slice, we say "My cheese is so stinky!" etc.



Ryan Hamilton. He has a Netflix special, or you can search for shorter clips and skits on YouTube. Gosh he is funny. He makes me laugh so much. His description of trying to break up with his gym is the best. I also like Jim Gaffigan and Michael McIntyre when I need to cheer up.



Podcasts
I don't have much to recommend here, because I listen to so much live news/talk radio. (And so should you -- support your local radio station!) But, as everyone I know keeps raving about COLD, now is the time to brag that I know that guy. Dave Cawley and I were cubicle neighbors for years at work, until he moved upstairs  (I lived through covering the Powell case, so I actually don't listen, though others say I should).

We have other podcasts you can find at kslnewsradio.com/podcasts. I've tried out "Cox and Friends" and "Jazz Notes" and "Fan Effect" because I know the people who produce them.

JB likes "Leading Saints" podcast (Formerly known as "Leading LDS.") I listened to a few in the car with him on our Yellowstone trip last summer. Great discussions covering several different callings at Church.

I wouldn't mind your suggestions here, but I feel like they are like books on tape: I have listened to exactly ONE audio book in my whole life; I'm just more of a reading person because I can read fast.


No comments: