Saturday, February 16, 2019

Cruise


The last week of January was the BEST. JB and I got away for a Southern Caribbean cruise. It was like months/years worth of dates and relaxation we hadn't been able to have together.  


We sailed out of Miami on a Friday-Friday itinerary on the Norweigan Jade. Part of the deal JB found included three upgraded meals on the ship's premium restaurants. The first night, pictured above, we had a reservation at Moderno, which was Brazilian-style and oh-so-good.

We had an inside cabin, which was perfect for sleeping and sleeping...but I still set an iphone alarm so my brain knew what time it was in the dark. They had new movies constantly going on the TV channels, and I caught up on a lot that I'd wanted to see.

The staff left towel animals....par for the course on a cruise but still appreciated...





And every chance I could I participated in the cruise staff activites so I could get a signature on my card and earn points for prizes at the end. I brought back NCL keychains and frisbees and decks of cards for the boys from my endeavors. 

My favorite activities were the morning and evening trivia challenges. My strategy was to cozy up to a couple or group and join their team, then watch their surprise when I knew several answers.  More than a pretty face, this one.  Also, it was a chance to get to know other people and maybe share a little bit about the Church, because they always asked about it after I said I was from Salt Lake City. 

Our first stop was Costa Maya, Mexico. JB and I stopped here on our honeymoon cruise, but I read that they have had a hurricane and big rebuild since then. On that cruise, we took a taxi to the beach. This time, we took a tour of Chocchoben Mayan ruins.



Hugo, our guide. VERY smart. He mentioned to JB that some of his family members joined the church, but he is Catholic.


I was fascinated by these trees. One type of tree takes over another and eats it alive.



Hugo taught us the joy of eating a chili powder mixture on honey pineapple.



Then that night we learned the joy of Tepanyaki style cooking in another one of our restaurant reservations onboard. The chef was hilarious and talented, and the chicken and shrimp and scallops and filet were heavenly.





Ok long enough post, more stops in the next one!

No comments: