Thursday, March 1, 2018

My grandpa

Earth lost another member of the Greatest Generation yesterday.  My grandpa Vernie passed away peacefully in his sleep, just a few weeks after Ruth died. He was 95 years old.


He grew up in Missouri, but World War Two sent him to the South Pacific, and then he traveled all over the world in his career with the Navy. My dad was raised in Oak Harbor, Washington, a big Navy port. LDS Missionaries came to their door, when my dad was young. 

I was baptized there during a visit one summer in between our move from Peru to Brazil. My grandma Maxine died when I was around 8, and I only have a few memories of her, but an older cousin once told me I looked like her, and I totally see it in the picture below.



I am glad for his example. I am glad for his long, full life. I am jealous of my cousins who knew him better. I am sad for my dad and his siblings. 

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I see it, too! Love to you and your family...