Thursday, April 19, 2012

Awkward

Today I wore a long maxi skirt, fitted shirt and ruffled cardigan. I felt stylish and spring-y.

Then Benny came up to me at the end of the day, patted my lower abdomen and said, "You look like you have a baby in your tummy, mommy!"

Um, hehehehehe. Nervous laugh. Quickly gather shards of dignity.

"I don't, Benny. My body has just changed because I've had three babies already: Max, you and Andrew."

"Oh. But when are you going to have another baby?"

"Um, (another nervous laugh), that's something your daddy and I would have to talk about. And it's kind of up to God."

"Oh. I'll say a prayer then. Dear Heavenly Father, please let mommy have another baby."

Oh jeez. Why did I have to wear this skirt today? Look what it has wrought!

I'm going to buy some Spanx.

4 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm sure you looked smashing! Ahh, that Benny.

True story: when we were waiting to get pregnant with baby #4, the kids prayed, and prayed, and prayed for a little brother. Baby #4, as you know, turned out to be Brynna. NOT a baby brother. Well, darn those kids - that baby brother came fast on Brynna's heels. Beware, my friend. The prayers of children are powerful. I hope for your sake, your baby #4 takes his/her time getting here. This being-pregnant-for-2-years-straight business is NOT FUN!

cpace said...

I'm with Benny my baby will need a friend

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. But only because it didn't happen to me...

Jared and Allyson said...

Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh! I love how candid and unfiltered children can be. :)