Monday, March 27, 2017

Separation and anxiety

This Millie-girl goes where I go.  Even on dinner dates with her daddy.


That binkie on the table is just for show. She chews on it.

In the mornings she is glued to JB's side. When I am home, she likes me within view, or holding her. It's the separation anxiety phase babies all go through.

(This is at the school for arts night)


Anxiety in babies - normal. Anxiety in kids and adults - let's talk about that.

I have some level of worry already that I think comes with motherhood (like this post from when Max was 3 and Ben nearly 1 year old). Worry can protect us and our kids.

But on the other end of the spectrum are things like anxiety attacks (which I went through for a period of time in 2015). I didn't realize what was happening until it was spelled out for me in therapy. And I remember talking with my sister-in-law last April briefly about anxiety after her last baby. Giving it a name has really helped me recognize when it happens to me, and how to work through it. It also has been great to teach my children skills to handle the times when it seems "the worry-monster" is taking over their thoughts about something.

I highly recommend this article in the Ensign this month about it. I find I can talk more easily to myself about a fear versus reality, about truth versus deception, etc. Our ward theme this year is "Look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not."  JB gave a wonderful talk on this for ward conference that people have told me they loved. God is so great and we can trust Him that the future will work out.


2 comments:

Rachelle said...

I had a lot of anxiety about 10-15 years ago. I agree - naming those feelings is huge in feeling a semblance of control/normalcy. I have been anxiety (and anxiety meds-) free for a year, and it is a glorious feeling! Good luck with your adventures with it.

Sarah said...

Amen!! We all deal with it. You are not alone!